Saturday, June 16, 2012

Yolanda´s First week at New Orleans

I arrived six days ago to New Orleans. This is my first time in this city, and I need more time for knowing it, but there are something different, which makes me feel like if I was in a place that combined the chaos of the south (our south) and that “things” that we defined like “gringo”.



Being in a different country is a great experience,  even more if that country has a different language. Furthermore if you consider the change of circumstances like missing families, staying in a residence, discovering a neighborhood, transportation and all that things that you live every day.  But I need to say that I am really happy, tired but happy (it is an expression in my country).

One of the best moments in this week was listening to some pieces of Jazz at Bourbon Orleans Hotel. It was part of the “Trad Jazz Fest” and our classmate Clever advised us about it. It was enjoyable, I remembered my father, my daughter, my husband, I need to say that some voices moved me deeply; you couldn’t imagine was I felt listening “I never knew that roses grew” or “Blue skies”. Thank you, again, Clever.


 
Finally, yesterday night we went to Bourbon Street and there you can find much nightlife options.  It was unexpected, there were a lot of girls in their bachelorette parties. It was new for me because at the beginning, I thought that was a joke, but there are many girls, so I started to observe in detail and then I was aware that they always came with a group of friends, and they had an attitude, and obviously, they were having a good time.

I hope that you enjoy this song.

Yolanda




4 comments:

  1. Very nice Yolanda.
    And I'm happy that you enjoyed the jazz concert.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I imagine, you have felt indescriptible things, beautiful
    Yolanda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your comments about different feelings of being here, missing the family and friends but having a good time here. We are all "Tired but happy"

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a true ethnography! Thank you for sharing your observations and feelings!

    ReplyDelete